Effective date: April 6, 2021
The Bnai Zion Foundation, Inc. (“Bnai Zion”) is a New York Not-for-Profit Corporation described under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Joshua Network is a project of Bnai Zion. Bnai Zion understands that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your information is used and shared online. We respect and value the privacy of everyone who uses the Bnai Zion website and the Joshua Network website including all pages within the websites and any related web applications (“Services”), and Bnai Zion will only collect and use information in a manner consistent with your rights and with our obligations under the law.
- Information that we receive from you when you interact with the Services
- How we use and process the information that we receive
- If and why personal information may be disclosed to third parties
- Your choices regarding the collection and processing of your personal information
Information we collect
Types of Information
We collect various kinds of information that you provide to us as well as information we obtain from your use of the Services. Some of the types of information that we collect includes Personal Information and Usage Data, further described below.
“Personal Information”—information associated with or used to identify or contact a specific person. Personal Information includes:
- Name and contact data. Your first and last name, email address, home or business address, and phone number.
- Demographic data. Data about you such as your age, gender, country, and preferred language.
- Payment data. Payment card number and related information such as expiration date and any required codes.
- Images and videos. Any images, videos, and personal stories that you may provide through your use of the Services.
- Location data. Data about your location which can be precise or imprecise. For example, we collect location data about nearby cell towers and hotspots as well as zip code data which provides a less precise location.
- Feedback and ratings. Any information that you provide to us about our Services.
- Credentials. Passwords, password hints, and other security information used for authentication.
“Usage Data”—information about your online activity that, by itself, does not identify you, such as:
- technical information, including your browser type, service provider, IP address, operating system and webpages visited;
- information about what you have searched for and looked at while using the Services; and/or
- metadata, which means information related to items you made available through the Services, such as the date, time, or location that a shared photograph or video was taken or posted.
How We Collect Information
We collect information from you when you:
- Use the Services. We collect Personal Information from you when you create an account to purchase items, contact us for help or information, or otherwise voluntarily provide your Personal Information.
From Our Business Partners and Service Providers.
We also automatically collect Usage Data when you interact with the Services.
From cookies and other data collection tools.
We, along with the service providers that help us provide the Services, use small text files called “cookies,” which are small computer files sent to or accessed from your web browser or your computer’s or tablet’s hard drive that contain information about your computer, such as a user ID, user settings, browsing history, and activities conducted while using the Services. Cookies are not themselves personally identifiable, but cookies may be linked to Personal Information that you provide to us through your interaction with the Services. A cookie typically contains the name of the domain (internet location) from which the cookie originated, the “lifetime” of the cookie and a randomly generated unique number or similar identifier.
The Services also may use data collection tools to collect information from the device used to access the Services, such as operating system type, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the operating system used and the country and time zone in which the computer or device is located.
Web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to manage and delete cookies, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Some web browsers (including some mobile web browsers) provide settings that allow a user to reject cookies or to alert a user when a cookie is placed on the user’s computer, tablet, or mobile device. Most mobile devices also offer settings to reject mobile device identifiers. Although users are not required to accept cookies or mobile device identifiers, blocking or rejecting them may prevent access to some features available through the Services.
How We Use Your Information.
We may use the information we collect for any of the following business, commercial, or charitable purposes:
- to provide the Services to you;
- to operate, improve, and personalize the products and services we offer, and to give each user a more consistent and personalized experience when interacting with us;
- to communicate with users using email or text message;
- to better understand how users access and use the Services, for the purposes of trying to improve the Services, and to respond to user preferences, including language and location customization, personalized help and instructions, or other responses to users’ usage of the Services;
- to help us develop our new products and services and improve our existing products and Services;
- to provide users with advertising and direct marketing that is more relevant to you; and
- to assess the effectiveness of and improve advertising and other marketing and promotional activities on or in connection with the Services.
Please note that, in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the Services, information collected through the Services may, subject to user privacy controls (if available), be used in an aggregated or individualized manner.
How We Share and Disclose Your Information
We may share and disclose information as described at the time information is collected or as follows:
- When you consent. We may share Personal Information with third parties if you have given us your consent to do so. We will only share Sensitive Personal Information when you have given us your opt-in consent.
- To perform services. We may disclose Personal Information to third parties in order to perform services requested or functions initiated by users. In addition, we may disclose Personal Information in order to identify a user in connection with communications sent through the Services. We also may offer users the opportunity to share information with friends and other users through the Services.
- With third party service providers performing services on our behalf. We share information, including Personal Information, with our service providers to perform the functions for which we engage them (such as hosting and data analyses). We may share information as needed to operate other related services.
- In aggregated form. We may share Personal Information about you in an aggregated form—that is, in a statistical or summary form that does not include any personal identifiers—with third parties in order to discover and reveal trends about how users like you interact with our services.
We employ industry-standard security measures designed to protect the security of all information submitted through the Services. However, the security of information transmitted through the internet can never be guaranteed. We are not responsible for any interception or interruption of any communications through the internet, or for changes to or losses of data. Users of the Services are responsible for maintaining the security of any password, user ID, or other form of authentication involved in obtaining access to password-protected or secure areas of any of our digital services. In order to protect you and your data, we may suspend your use of any of the Services, without notice, pending an investigation, if any breach of security is suspected. Access to and use of password- protected and/or secure areas of any of the Services are restricted to authorized users only. Unauthorized access to such areas is prohibited and may lead to criminal prosecution.
You are able to access and review the Personal Information we have about you, make corrections to it, and/or request that we delete it. You contact us to correct the information we have about you and make additional requests by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will review your request and respond to you as quickly as possible.
Links to Third Party Services
Information from Children
Consistent with the requirements of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), if we learn that we have received any information directly from a child under age 13 without first receiving his or her parent’s verified consent, we will use that information only to respond directly to that child (or his or her parent or legal guardian) to inform the child that he or she cannot use the Services and, subsequently, we will delete that information.
EU/Swiss Privacy Shield Certification
We comply with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield framework, as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce, regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. We have certified that we adhere to the Privacy Shield Principles of notice, choice, accountability for onward transfer, security, data integrity and purpose limitation, access, and recourse, enforcement, and liability. To learn more about the
Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit: https://www.privacyshield.gov/ and https://www.privacyshield.gov/list
Any personal information collected about EU visitors through the Services is processed in the United States by us or by a party acting on our behalf. WHEN YOU PROVIDE PERSONAL INFORMATION TO US THROUGH THE SERVICES, YOU CONSENT TO THE PROCESSING OF YOUR DATA IN THE UNITED STATES. The Services are hosted in the United States, Netherlands, Ireland, and Germany.
Residents of California have additional rights.
California Privacy Rights Shine the Light
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users who are California residents to request certain information regarding and/or opt-out of our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Additionally, California residents may request that we delete their Personal Information. To make such a request, please write to us at the following address:
Bnai Zion Foundation, Inc.
1430 Broadway #1804,
New York, NY 10018
California Consumer Privacy Act
California residents may request copies of the data collected about them in the past 12 months by writing to the address above and request deletion. See the “Information We Collect” Section above to find the categories of Personal Information we collect, our methods of collection, the business, commercial, or charitable purpose for collection, and categories of third parties we disclose information to.
California Minor Content Removal
If you are a resident of California, and you are under 18 and a registered user of the Services, you may contact us to ask us to remove content or information that you have posted to the Services. Please note that your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information, as, for example, some of your content may have been reposted by another user.
California Right to Non-Discrimination
Bnai Zion and the Joshua Project do not discriminate against customers who exercise their rights under applicable privacy law.
California Do Not Track Disclosure
Do Not Track is a privacy preference that users can set in their web browsers. When a user turns on the Do Not Track signal, the browser sends a message to websites requesting them not to track the user. At this time, we do not respond to Do Not Track browser settings or signals. For information about Do Not Track, please visit: www.allaboutdnt.org